Friday, April 13, 2012

Looking for Alaska by John Green


When Miles “Pudge” Halter, a loner obsessed with people’s last words, arrives at Culver Creek he dreams of new beginnings filled with friends and pranks to rival that of his father’s younger years.  Pudge meets his roommate the Colonel and is soon brought in to a circle of friends that include the clever Takumi, the leader Colonel and beautiful Alaska, whom Pudge quickly falls in love with despite her relationship with a college student.  All goes well until the group is faced with a devastating tragedy they must all come to grips with and deal with in their own way.  Looking for Alaska is a story about “the Great Perhaps” and how friends react when one of them is suddenly and inexplicably taken away from them.

            Having read “An Abundance of Katherines,” also by John Green, and not finding it as enjoyable as I thought I might, I was apprehensive when picking up Looking for Alaska.  I have to say, however, that I was very pleasantly surprised and enjoyed reading the entire novel.  Although not every teen is forced to deal with the same situation Pudge and his friends are faced with, I think this is a story that many young adult readers are able to relate to based on the process of dealing with hardships. I truly enjoyed the mix of humor and realness that Green brought to this story and I did not think any of it felt fake to me.  One of the quotes I felt would be most relatable to young teens was said by Pudge in the beginning of the book when he was discussing his choice to go to Culver Creek:
“So this guy," I said, standing in the doorway of the living room. "Francois Rabelais. He was this poet. And his last words were 'I go to seek a Great Perhaps.' That's why I'm going. So I don't have to wait until I die to start seeking a Great Perhaps." (5)
I think this quote describes how a lot of teens feel when going off to college, starting new friendships and relationships – I think the Great Perhaps is something every teen knows about and invites as well as fears.  This book shows that, while life is not always perfect, you really can get by with some good friends.
            I would recommend this book for older teens who are possibly going off to college or are going through a rough patch in their life.  I think this book would be a good read-alike for John Green’s new book The Fault in Our Stars because they both deal with difficult, life-altering situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment